Energy Locals is a fast-growing renewable energy retailer giving Australians more choices for their energy. We are proud to have won the 2023 Finders Green Energy Retailer of the Year award, the 2023 product review award and named as one of Australia’s best electricity providers by CHOICE.
About the job
We’re looking for a skilled and passionate Virtual Power Plant (VPP) Engineer to join the team. You will be responsible for the management and delivery of the technical and commercial elements of our commercial VPP. Through collaboration with the Commercial Solar and Renewable Energy Engineer and a multi-disciplinary team of suppliers, contractors and internal customers, this key role takes responsibility for growing the technical excellence of our VPP solutions.
Responsibilities, requirements and skills
- Develop technical DER solutions and strategies that support the market forecasting, optimisation, aggregation and control of our mixed DER VPP
- Work closely with our various VPP and DER external and internal partners to implement robust VPP solutions
- Develop engineering drawings, specifications, and project documentation to support construction and procurement activities, coordination of contractors, suppliers, and DNSPs related to the VPP
- Model mixed-DER revenue streams using available modelling software tools for the purposes of business case development
- Understand the technical elements of asset performance and how this can relate to the commercial aspects of DER
- Become the SME for all technical aspects of metering related to installing mixed-DER within an embedded network or in other customer site configurations for demand management and/or market facing activity
- Management of regulatory and governance partners in collaboration with internal stakeholders.
- Responsible for understanding DER specifications such as MASS, and DNSP tariffs that could affect the operation of DER
- Attend customer meetings to solve technical challenges
What we’re looking for
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, or related field)
- Minimum 4 years of experience DER engineering with exposure to Demand Management, BTM optimisation and market revenue modelling
- Understanding of electrical system design, power electronics, and grid connection requirements
- Proficiency in solar and battery energy modelling software (e.g., PVsyst, Helioscope, Orkestra/GridCog, Homer) and design tools (e.g., AutoCAD)
- Exposure to financing products
- Ability to illustrate excellent critical thinking related to complex technical issues
- Extensive experience in project management and delivery
- Ability to translate key business requirements to technical capability and functionality
- Strong numeracy, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Full Australian working rights
What we offer
Energy Locals has a diverse, inclusive, and supportive team culture committed to providing a rewarding workplace environment. As a member of our team, you will have the opportunity to work on innovative projects and be encouraged to take ownership of your role, responsibilities, and development path.